The project includes work in three (3) predominant areas: 1) the Memorial site; 2) a 0.75 acre Promenade that separates the LBJ Building from the Memorial site, which runs along the entire north side of the LBJ Building and; 3) the Lyndon B. Johnson U.S. Department of Education Building.
The Memorial work includes:
- An information center and bookstore building, which includes a bookstore, a park ranger contact station, storage space, equipment rooms, and public restrooms. This building is one story above grade with a full basement. A platform lift provides vertical conveyance between the two floors.
- Large scale 78' (nominally) tall, stone-clad concrete columns supporting panelized stainless steel tapestries.
- Multiple bronze sculptures and stone bas-reliefs.
- Underground utility work that supports the memorial and the LBJ Building.
- Traffic light/pedestrian crosswalks at 4th/6th and Independence Avenue
- Street utility work on 4th/6th and Independence Avenue.
- Landscape covering most of the site with new trees, grass and plantings which will be irrigated utilizing a rainwater recovery and storage system.
- Paving/hardscape to include walkways of both stone and precast concrete.
- Stone-clad commemorative walls with carved inscriptions.
- Benches, planters, and other site appurtenances dispersed throughout the site.
- Site lighting and security systems.
- Relocation/replacement of traffic signals, street lighting, sidewalks, street trees, and ADA sidewalk ramps.
- The Promenade work includes:
- A reconstructed sunken courtyard with egress stairs in the southeast corner of the site.
- New paving/hardscape/landscape.
- Upgrades to the lighting and security systems in this area.
- Relocated exhaust vent
The LBJ Building work includes:
- Connections to new underground utilities serving the building.
- Additions/connections to existing security and fire alarm systems.
- Alterations to existing mechanical systems
- Addition of Canopies at north-side First Floor vestibules
- Addition of insulation to underside of slab inside the Mechanical and Electrical rooms.
- Option No. 3 - "Structural Repairs to Columns at Sunken Courtyard, Lyndon Johnson Building"
- Option No. 4 - "Structural Repairs to Concrete Slab above Electrical and Mechanical Vaults, Lyndon Johnson Building"